Call 416.699.0501 or Book Your Appointment Online!

Worth the Sip?

October 30, 2017
You may love to drink a can of coke, but your teeth do not feel the same way! Soft drinks, soda or pop – no matter how you refer to these carbonated drinks, they are not the best choice for your teeth. 
 
A single can of pop can contain almost ten teaspoons of sugar inside! Bacteria love to eat sugar, which makes your mouth a breeding ground for them to grow. When bacteria feed off of sugar, they also produce acids. These acids soften and weaken your tooth enamel. This increases your vulnerability to cavities and tooth decay. 
 
It is best to avoid any carbonated drinks. Instead choose other options such as water, milk or 100% fruit juice. A tip for those of you who may indulge in the occasional can of pop is to rinse your mouth out with water after. This will help wash away lingering sugars and help prevent acid from building. Using a toothpaste with fluoride and mouthwash daily will also help strengthen your tooth enamel to fight off acid eating bacteria. 
 
Stay clear of the carbonated drink that tempts you. The trouble it causes for your teeth are just not worth the sip! 
 
 
– Dr. Jay Rabinovich
Posted in Blog by Jade